Adaptive Reuse project repurposing a 1930’s gasoline filling station into a submarine sandwich restaurant and bar. Painted unreinforced brick with wood joists, the original construction, was retained, after removing the paint to expose the original red brick surface and color. The pump canopy was enhanced with repaired sheet metal, new neon lighting and faux pumps to enhance the outdoor eating area. Interior modifications were utilities for the restaurant function, cleaning, additional attic insulation and new accessible restrooms.
T6 resurrected this deteriorating icon on a busy corner in the Historic Sam Hughes Neighborhood into a welcoming, exciting and thriving business.
The Owner was awarded the Tucson Pima County Historical Commission’s “Historic Preservation Certificate” as “…a successful example of adaptive reuse of an important property type in Tucson that sets a standard for future use of 1940s-1950s historic gas stations in the community.”